Thank you for your interest in our rental property! We invite potential rental applicants to review the self-screening checklist below before scheduling a live viewing. This information (based upon our screening criteria¹ and what we know about TransUnion's SmartMove² screening service) can potentially save us all time & effort. We know planning for a move can be very stressful, so we don't want you to encounter any unpleasant surprises during the screening or move-in processes.
1. The property is currently available for showing. Please verify "vacancy" is posted on this site.
2. You plan to move within a month or two and you understand that this is not a short-term rental, i.e. we don't rent any property for less than a year.
3. Your current, steady, verifiable income of ≥2× rent rate. (Yes, income of more than one applicant can "add up" to this figure.) Your ultimate credit-worthiness will be assessed by TransUnion.
4. You have previous experience as a tenant (verifiable "rental history").
5. Former landlords can be reached by phone for a brief interview.
6. Your pets comply with our safe pet policy (see link below).
7. You'll obtain renters insurance³ before lease-signing.
8. You'll present cashier's check⁴ for "initial deposit" (1st month's rent + Security Deposit) to leasing agent at lease-signing, before moving in.
9. No evictions or rent payment issues with previous landlords.
10. No bankruptcies or foreclosures within past 5 years.
11. No convictions for violent crime, sex offense, burglary, arson, fraud or drug distribution/manufacture.
12. FICO credit score of 650 or higher. It is possible you'll pass the screening process with a lower credit score—depending upon other factors as evaluated by TransUnion—but this is still a helpful, predictive number. We've had applicants with credit scores as low as 560 pass the TransUnion SmartMove credit screening process.
Misrepresentations on rental applications⁵ are always legitimate grounds for rejection. Please contact Dan if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your understanding & cooperation.
① Anti-Discrimination — We never base any of our decisions or processes on Age, Ancestry, Color, Disability, Familial Status, Genetic Information, Immigration Status, Marital Status, Medical Condition, National Origin, Race, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Source of Income or Veteran Status. These classes include groups protected by local, state and federal antidiscrimination laws including the amended Federal Fair Housing Act and the Unruh Civil Rights Act. “Housing for Older Persons” (senior housing) and homeless youth provisions may exclude persons of certain ages on certain registered properties.
② TransUnion SmartMove — See https://www.mysmartmove.com/SmartMove/tenant-screening-services.page
③ Renters Insurance — Applicant/resident must be listed as "Insured" and property owner must be listed as a “Certificate Holder” or “Additional Interest” (NOT an “Additional Insured”) and must receive 30 days' notice of cancelation, nonrenewal, or a material change in coverage. Insurance must provide coverage of at least $100,000 in personal liability and cover the cost of temporary housing if needed for any reason. Please see lease agreement for details.
④ Initial Deposit — Cashier's check shall be drawn on a local bank or a bank with a local branch. Applicant must include first month's rent plus Security Deposit, payable to the LLC managing the property. There is no separate "pet deposit" as this is included in your security deposit.
⑤ Third-Party Applications & Credit Score Providers — Please do NOT apply to rent any of our properties [listed here or advertised on any other site] through or with any "third party." Some websites try to convince you to use their screening service, but we cannot honor those services. We must use our proprietary screening processes for all our applicants, so applicants must contact Dan to submit an Application to Rent. We do not charge a fee for applications, but part of the application process is handled by TransUnion SmartMove and they require a nominal fee, payable with a credit card. The SmartMove application includes a credit score report, so we do not need or want credit score reports you have previously obtained. It is crucial that we treat all applicants the same in this regard, so we can't make exceptions.
Parking — Parking can be very scarce on the ocean peninsula. It is important to remember the street sweeping days (Monday & Tuesday 10-noon). The parking tickets are pricey. It is even more important to remember that any vehicles left unattended in the driveway without written permission from Dan, Katie or Maddie (text & email are fine) may be towed. The driveway has to be kept clear. Getting your car back from Bruffy's Tow is much more expensive than a parking ticket, so if you want to park illegally, please do it somewhere on the street.
Pets — See our pet policy here.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.